Monday, April 27, 2015

Boston Marathon Race Report 2015 Team Hoyt

Boston Marathon 2015 Race Report

5k 10k 15k 20k Half 25k 30k 35k 40k
0:24:56 0:49:33 1:14:07 1:38:35 1:43:52 2:03:25 2:29:50 2:57:52 3:25:57

Finish: Pace Offl. Time Overall Gender Division
0:08:18 - 3:37:32 12602 8804 1697


So going into the race training had gone quite well, no question the winter weather had curtailed many of the runs outside. Also I was very conscious about running outside as a local runner had been hit by a car and unfortunately had died due the injuries that she received. She was running on the road due to the all the paths full of snow.

Race Weekend

So I drove up to Framingham to stay with my buddy Dennis and his family. Took the train into the city, got our race numbers, popped into McGreevy’s the traditional drinking spot for Team Hoyt and a couple of us went to the baseball game.

Saturday morning went for a run in the morning with Dennis, an easy 4-mile jog. I drove into the city to meet up with my wife and to check into the hotel and meet the other Team Hoyt members. There was a meet-up set-up so all the team could meet each other and get to know each other.

It was fascinating and moving to hear everyone very personal story, clearly this was more than a team it more like family. Many of the team were newbies like myself and others were returning for 5th year. There should be a disclaimer when joining Team Hoyt that this should be very emotional and moving. We received our running gear and we then headed over to a runners world presentation presented by Dick and Rick Hoyt.

It was again a very moving, powerful, insightful and gave you better understanding of what the Hoyts had achieved. It filled your sense of purpose and heart a little more, Yes You Can was real. That evening was a pasta dinner with the team, sponsors, family members, and great speeches by Dick Hoyt, Uta Pippig and Bryan Lyons.

Sunday was a free day to do as you wish so just relaxed, planned to go to bed early as we had to get on the bus at 5.00am. Organized my gear, hydrated with Gatorade and water all day. I didn’t sleep that well the night before so I was tired, I was in bed by 9.00 but alas I was restless and then at 12.30 am the fire alarm sounded and woke everybody up.

Race day I woke up at 4.30am, met up with the team a couple more team photos and we all headed off to the bus. We wished Bryan Lyons success on this amazing day, second person ever to push Rick at Boston Marathon.

It was raining and was predicted to get windier by the hour. A house had been organized for us to stay, as we were not running until 11.15am. We got to the house at around 6.30am, the plan was to head to the race start around 10.30am.

I stuck with my nutrition plan I had a banana, a powerbar and apple sauce with protein powder.
I was more than ready by to get the race started, I felt tired and anxious, and 10.30 couldn’t come fast enough. We able to watch the beginning of the race, it was our time to head to the start line and head to our corals. It felt good to be out in the fresh air, and get the legs moving.

We got into our corals and slowly we made it the start line, I took one GU just before the start, my plan was every 45 minutes to consume a GU. Then suddenly we crossed the start line with so many runners it took until mile 3 for the crowd too thin out and to really get into a rthymn, and open the legs out. My goal was too run around 8.00 minute miles for the first hour and then start hitting my goal pace of 7.49.

I felt comfortable and settled into a nice pace, I had to remind myself to be patient, I chose to run down the middle of the road as puddles were an issue. Whenever the crowd saw the Team Hoyt colors the response was remarkable, I really got a sense of how much love and admiration Boston as for the Hoyts. Sometimes it was so loud you couldn't hear yourself think

Mile 10 I was coming up to Wellesley, you could hear the students from a mile away, they did not disappoint and I was conscious of not getting sucked in and changing my pace, they certainly give you a boost.

Mile 13.1 looked at my time 1.44, I was happy with that, I did a mental check of my body, and mentally I felt good, no real sign of fatigue. I knew that hard part of the race/course was coming up.

Mile 17 I started to really feel my quads tightening up, I was hitting my first bad patch of the day. I felt really good going up the hills and had no issues, it was going downhill that I was started to struggle. My running pace was now around 8.15, at the moment i decided today was about enjoying myself rather then pushing myself so hard.

Mile 20 I had the need to go toilet badly, this is something I have experienced before, and I luckily found a toilet. (Need to find a solution to this)

Mile 21 I had left a bottle with Team Hoyt aid station with an infinit mix. (The original plan was to have this at mile 17). This allowed me not to stop at aid stations and save me some time. I did not walk any of the hills; I was amazed at how many peeps were walking those hills.

The home stretch overall I felt good but my quads had been getting more painful by the minute, I knew that I just had to suck it up. I did stop a couple of times to try and stretch them out. The crowds were just so nuts here, Team Hoyttttt.


At mile 25 I did see my wife and of course stopped, it is always amazing how choked up you get when you see your partner.

Basically I had a mile left to go from that point onwards, I put my head down, sucked it up and embraced the noise of the crowd. Turned left on to Boylston street and pushed it to the finish line. I had forgotten how far that home stretch was.

When I crossed that line I felt satisfied that I given my all, my quads were totally ceased up, it was a real struggle to walk.

Overall I was satisfied with the run, in hindsight I should have just focused on running in my training leading up to the marathon. I feel that I would of have been fresher. Three days after the race my legs felt good, I did feel fatigued but after several good night sleeps.

Running for Team Hoyt was an honor and a privilege, it was an amazing experience. the words YES YOU CAN will be have special meaning . The Hoyt’s are truly loved and I just got a glimpse of that from the amazing crowd support. It was a great weekend for sure. So many highlights from this weekend I cannot wait to do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment